Thursday, April 30, 2009

Lights, Cameras.....Laughter!

My boss told me the other day she had just found out that a friend had cancer, and she thought she'd buy them a couple good movies, preferably comedies, to cheer them up. She asked what I would recommend. So I of course immediately name one of the greatest comedies ever made - The Princess Bride. She looks at me blankly and says she's never heard of it.

What? Never heard of it? INCONCEIVABLE! (OK, you need to have seen the movie to understand that...)

How could you not know a movie with such classic lines as....

(Inigo): "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." (Count Rugen): "Stop saying that!"

(Vizzini): "INCONCEIVABLE!" (Inigo): "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

(Inigo): "You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you." (Wesley): "You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.

Seriously...if you haven't yet, you MUST see this movie. It's hilarious.

The next best comedy ever...The Out of Towners. Not the Steve Martin version. Remakes of movies should be against the law because they most typically always stink, in my opinion. No, you gotta see the classic original of this one with Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis. From the moment their flight is delayed getting into NYC until they board the plane again to head back to Ohio, this movie has one hilarious moment after another. The first memory I have of it is from when I was a kid, upstairs in bed for the night one evening. We lived in that teeny-tiny house on Second Street, and the living room was right under my bedroom. Mom and dad were watching The Out of Towners on TV...and my dad was laughing so hard I thought he was going to have a stroke. I even got up and went downstairs to see what on earth was going on. That's probably another reason why I love that movie...It always gives me that picture of my dad laughing hysterically. That..and the fact that it still makes me laugh out loud myself every time I see it.

And then there are those movies that are so stupid that they're funny. Airplane! is the first to come to mind. I mean, who in the world ever would have thought of Mrs. Cleaver talking Jive? Or this conversation....Rumack: You'd better tell the Captain we've got to land as soon as we can. This woman has to be gotten to a hospital. Elaine Dickinson: A hospital? What is it? Rumack: It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.
I tell ya, it took a great mind to come up with that. Or a demented one.

I just found myself a new favorite the other day too. Madagascar. I don't care if it is animated and I am 37 years old...it's still funny! I told someone the other day I really enjoyed that movie and they said "Surely you can't be serious!"

I am serious.

And don't call me Shirley. (hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment