Sunday, June 21, 2009

My Pappy...

I knew my dad for 30 years and 3 months. Then he had to leave. He was the greatest man I ever knew on this earth. And though he's been gone nearly 8 years, I'm still influenced by him every day.

He taught me how to be honest in all things.

How to enjoy life.

How to be the bigger person.

How to value your family.

How to stand for what's right, regardless of the consequences.

How to always trust God.

To remember to laugh, even when times are tough.

How to just be a good person.

A friend at church tells of when his family started coming to our church, and they attended a bonfire that we were having. He didn't know anyone very well, and was sitting by the fire shivering a bit because of the cold of the evening. Then someone stopped and offered his coat to help warm the young man up. It was my dad. That was over 20 years ago or more. And it still affects that man today.

The simplest gesture can make the biggest impact for the longest time.

What a legacy to leave.

I don't think I told dad often enough while he was here how much I appreciated him. I regret that, because he deserved to know it.

I hope he knew it.

So Happy Father's Day Dad. And thank you for all you gave me and taught me in this life. I'm so glad you were my Dad. You were truly a giant among men.

I miss you very much...

No comments:

Post a Comment