Saturday, August 1, 2009

Moving Day

Thursday, July 23rd. The grand adventure begins. I'm up at 7 scurrying around the apartment doing this and that. Drat it all, it's lookin' pretty dreary outside. That could be a bad thing when you're attempting to move furniture across town on the back of pickup trucks. Fortunately, the metropolis that is Shelby does have a U-Haul rental. So I attempt to make a reservation for their 17 foot truck. This is no easy task. The gentleman there was a bit hard to communicate with, to say the least. He tells me he has one truck. I tell him I will be there in less than an hour to get it. He says OK. Then says I need to remember it's first-come-first-served. I ask him if that means he's not going to hold the truck for me. He tells me, of course he'll hold the truck for me.

Alrighty, then.

I call mom and tell her to get to my place as soon as possible before crazy rental truck guy gives my ride away. Soon we're chugging down the road, and get to U-Haul land. In we go, where rental dude is waiting. We go through the whole rigamarole of who I am and why I'm there again, and then he starts the paperwork. Now, he had told me I'd need $29.99 for the truck. So we get to the money portion of this little transaction and he says, "OK, that'll be $100."

$100??!!

That's exactly what I said. And how I said it. He in turn looked at me like I had 3 heads. Then it hit me that they required a deposit. Which would have been nice if he had told me that before. So, since they only take cash or credit card, I give him my card. This is quite a challenge for him because his little card reader, which had been stuck to the outside of his CPU, had fallen down. Apparently this was pretty perplexing for him, because he starts muttering something that sounds like "whmf ifa crd og jst heerr whitm??"

If you think that sounds ridiculous in writing, you should have heard it in person. It's like the guy didn't believe in vowels or something. I must have really been giving him a look because he looks at me and starts laughing and says "I'm really fluid, aren't I?" Admittedly, I have no idea what it means to be "fluid", but I just agree and tell him I have no idea what he is doing at the moment. Well, by now he's found his little card reader, so life is good again. For the time being anyway.

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment