Friday, August 7, 2009

All Grown Up

I know that I am 37 years old. Oh, wait...38. I forgot I just had a birthday. But sometimes you have this impression of yourself in your mind, you know? You still see yourself as the "young one"....even though you're really not. I mean....Jiminy Christmas....I'm almost 40. 40!! Shew...when did that happen?

Here lately, it's the weirdest things that are just making me feel "grown up". For instance, I moved in to the new house on a Thursday. I got my trash service started, and they delivered an enormous trash bin to me on Monday, and told me that I'd need to put it out Tuesday night for pick-up. So, that's what I do. And as I'm lugging that thing out to the front yard, this overwhelming sense of grown up responsibility overcomes me. Isn't that weird? I mean, I had to take the trash out at the apartment. I don't know why it's different, but it is. Is there such a thing as "grown up" trash?? Is "homeowner garbage" so different from "renters garbage"?? Apparently so....

Another completely bizzare instance of this? When I use the garage door opener. Seriously. I know...I know this is slightly ridiculous. But I tell you, it's there. Just to think I've got my car comfortably tucked away in it's own little place....it gives me chills. (Park your car on the road for 13 years and see how emotional a garage of your own makes you!)

Then tonight I came home and my neighbors were all outside. So I went over and introduced myself. There I stood, on the neighbor's porch, talking about how to keep skunks from habitating underneath my shed just like I had any kind of clue as to actually how to keep skunks from habitating underneath my shed, and it hit again. Wow...I'm talking with this guy about my property. MY property. Dear lord.....I have to take care of all this property.

Cool and a little scary all at once....

No comments:

Post a Comment