Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Waiting Game

Today has been an unusual day. I've been home all day. ALL DAY. That never happens. And truth be told, it probably only happened today because I'm being held hostage by the cable company. Again.

I came home the other day and found a little card on my front door that said I had missed my cable appointment. Which was very odd since I didn't know I had a cable appointment. Upon reading the other side, it had this note on there that said they had detected "signal leakage" coming from my house, which was very serious and my cable could be turned off if it were not fixed and they needed to get in the house to do it.

That's one of the weirdest things I've ever heard of.

So I called them and asked them if this was real or if somebody was just trying to break into my house. They claimed it's real. So they give me an appointment of Saturday from 8 to 8. Yes, you read it right....a 12 hour time span to sit here and wait for the guy to show up.

Now, since I've had all day to contemplate this, I wonder...why as a society do we allow them to get away with this? Imagine if we told our doctors..."Ah, I'll be there sometime between 8 and 8. Just hang out until I show up." It's kind of insane. I mean, are re-runs of Friends and documentaries about people going through psychotherapy for obsessive compulsive disorders really worth this?

Apparently they are.

So, I got up and worked a little in the office...and waited.

Then I started cleaning the kitchen....and waited.

Then Mom came by and pulled some of my weeds and looked through my shed, and I continued to wait.

Then she went to Mansfield and I had lunch and fell asleep on the couch while I waited.

Then she came back with a mirror for me and left her Wendy's trash.....and I continued to wait.

And now I blog.

And wait.

And hope I'm not being slowly irradiated by the cable signals leaking out all over my house.

I'll keep you posted...

1 comment:

  1. I don't think that comment about mom's trash from Wendy's was necessary as I have never commented on all the trash you've left at my house. Love mom

    ReplyDelete