Sunday, March 29, 2009

Small Town Livin'...

I love small towns. Today was one of those days when I really realized how much I enjoy it as we did our Sunday dining at the local grocery store (yes, the grocery store...some of the best food in town!)

I love how your food is almost cold by the time you get it to your seat because everyone you pass stops you to talk a bit and ask how you've been. And the people you don't know smile and nod at you too. I love how someone doing their weekly shopping just leaves their cart in one of the aisles and plops down in the seat next to you to chat a bit and catch up on what's been happening in your life. It's good times, I tell ya...

Perhaps some people find it corny or hokey, but I find warmth in it...a "comfortableness" that is soulfully inviting. I remember a few years ago we headed down to our high school football stadium for our city's annual Fourth of July celebration. The entire town (and surrounding communities) gathers together on the field with their lawn chairs and blankets to enjoy the holiday fireworks. As we were looking for a spot to set up our "camp", I almost stepped on someone laying on a blanket on the ground. As I was apologizing to them for nearly stomping on their head, I suddenly realized who I was talking to.

It was our Mayor.

Ah...only in a small town...

1 comment:

  1. Oh Becky....I want to go eat at the grocery store with you when I come visit...(and I will). That's funny about the mayor..I was a pallbearer (yes I was) for Casey's mamaw a few months ago...turns out the mayor was behind me in the pallbearer line of the casket...me and my sister-in-law who was in front of me were only pretending to "lift" as it was very slick and rainy out..Casey was in front of her...suddenly I heard George (aka Mayor) start breathing really hard, I thought "Oh no I'm going to give the Mayor a heart attack" so I punched my sis-in-law in the back and we actually started lifting the casket..It was all very awkward and frankly, pretty dangerous.

    ReplyDelete